nafex - Re: [NAFEX] discussion about seeds

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] discussion about seeds
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 22:08:29 -0600

Ales,
I understand your approach regarding growing fruit trees from seed. I have collected some trees that have grown well in our tough conditions here in Tennessee. It makes me nervous to bring in scions from outside, in case of disease that could reduce the productivity of the trees I already have. Regional varieties have been very much neglected in the last 50 years or so, and I am sure many are already lost. Just as Poland kept their old ways and old seeds till recently, so the poorer parts of the US have kept their local seeds and fruit varieties. But things are changing quickly.
Are you sure about prunus seeds not carrying sharka? I have always heard that they could carry it. And the story about the citrus seeds, they were from China where they have "Greening" a mycoplams disease. I have heard that they have it now in Florida, so I guess someone else brought in citrus illegally. Ales is right, it is very often the big companies that do these things, not just by bending the govt regulations to their benefit, but also illegally too. Tristeza virus probably entered Florida on grapefruit trees illegally shipped from Texas. Donna