nafex - Re: [NAFEX] banties in garden

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] banties in garden
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 21:58:51 -0600

I have read that in the south it was common to have the garden in 3 sections.  One would have chickens for a year.  Following chickens would be peppers and tomatoes and other garden crops that are sensitive to nematodes.  The next year would be corn, less sensitive to the growing nematode population.  Then chickens again to kill the weeds, fertilize and let the ground lie fallow to kill nematodes.
    Actually ducks are much better for slug control and don't scratch, but they waste too much water to be practical in the kind of severe droughts we've been going through.      Donna