nafex - Re: [NAFEX] discussion about seeds

  • From: "Mark & Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] discussion about seeds
  • Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 23:02:35 -0600

Ales,

According to the following link
http://www.agriculture.state.pa.us/agriculture/cwp/view.asp?q=128173 there
are several different strains of Sharka and strain M can be transmitted
through seed. However I found some research indicating it can't be
transmitted through seed
http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1365-2338.2006.00989.x

I guess I've never seen Prunus from Europe in this area, although have seen
plenty from South America. Are you sure your not seeing Hungarian or
Romanian "cultivars" (that were grown in North America) in our markets,
verses something actually imported from Europe? According to a USDA list of
countries eligible to import plums into the U.S., no European country
(except Belgium) is eligible to ship plums in the U.S.

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:fDPy9GmwuecJ:www.ers.usda.gov/Data/FruitVegPhyto/Data/fr-plums.xls+fruit+import+regulations+u.s.+plum&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us

Mark
KS