nafex - Re: [NAFEX] visiting "fruit peoples" in Canada

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] visiting "fruit peoples" in Canada
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 17:34:38 EST

In a message dated 3/7/2008 11:10:15 AM Eastern Standard Time, holycow@cookeville.com writes:

Ales, I'm sorry to have to say it, but the stone fruit seeds are illegal to
plant here.

I don't know Canadian importation laws regarding seeds in general. In the US you would have broken the regulations merely carrying them into the country without declaring them to the USDA. For certain, bringing Prunus seeds into this country is verboten. One exception, sour cherry seed can be imported with an import permit and submitting them to inspection by APHIS section of USDA. Then they have to ge grown in quarantine for two years plus have a quarantine agreement with your local state authorities and a copy on file at the USDA.

I'm quite sure Canada also has laws against bringing in Prunus seed and others. Makes no difference if planted or not, just the act of bringing them in is illegal. We need to have some of our Canadian friends weigh in on this.

When we Americans travel abroad, upon reentering this country we fill out a form asking if we are bringing in agriculture items. If one has seeds w/o the import permit they will be taken and destroyed. If one signs the declaration form saying they have no material but are later found with some you have broken the law by making a false statement as well as the act of importation and could do jail time. Not to mention heavy fines.

Even to receive undeclared material in this country can get one in trouble. My advise is don't ship any of the seeds you have brought into Canada into the US.

Jerry

It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms, and advice on AOL Money & Finance.
(http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001)