nafex - Re: [NAFEX] visiting "fruit peoples" in Canada

  • From: "Mark & Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] visiting "fruit peoples" in Canada
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 11:55:04 -0600

Ales,

I am in agreement with Donna. Sharka virus can be transmitted through
prunus seeds and the United States and Canada have recently gone through an
eradication program spending millions of dollars trying to rid the disease.
Lots of fruit trees were unnecessarily cut down to try to contain the
disease. It is still unknown how the disease entered North America.

As an anecdotal story, I remember reading not too long ago, someone
illegally brought in some dormant citrus scionwood from Japan. It turns out
the citrus wood had some disease that would have cost citrus growers
millions. Fortunately the citrus wood was discovered and destroyed before
it was grafted. However I believe the individual bringing it in suffered a
jail sentence as a consequence.

Please, at least, destroy the prunus seeds, and if you still want to bring
them in, work with the import authorities to help you.

Mark
KS