nafex - Re: [NAFEX] What can sloe be grafted to?

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] What can sloe be grafted to?
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 20:57:38 -0800

I have Prunus spinosa. It does sucker, but not to a horrible degree. I've got shrub roses that sucker more than my P. spinosa. Just avoid deep cultivation around the plant as disturbing the roots increases suckering.
I'll say that my P. spinosa is a novelty, being little more than a bush rather than a tree, but the fruit isn't anything that wonderful. I have some P. insititia "White Bullace" that hangs on late like the P. spinosa, but is larger, more edible and a better fruit. On the other hand, P. spinosa is more resistant to disease where the P. insititia gets some gummosis on shoots. Not terrible, but it's there, while the Sloe is clean.
-Lon Rombough
For even more grape lessons, go to http://www.grapeschool.com
For all other things grape, http://www.vitisearch.com