nafex - Re: [NAFEX] grafting wax

  • From: Gunther Ansari <guntheransari@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: lucky.pitman@murraystate.edu
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] grafting wax
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 05:17:50 -0800 (PST)

Dear Friends,
I am about to embark upon a major project of pruning a whole batch of "Never-Pruned" fruit & nut trees (Apple, Pear, Fig, Walnut (English / Persian)!

The timing is around the 20th to 30th February.

As this would involve a lot of cuts, I plan to do some cuts this year, followed by more thinning out next year, same season!

I need your best advice on the recipe for a good "Seal-off" medium, that can be easily "concocted" and mixed (in a heated water-bath vessel)  as well as be effective against insiduous rot, Fungus and  insect / borer damage to the "exposed" cuts, before the Spring comes around.

I wish to try the following mixture, as an effective & workable, but not too expensive recipe:
  1. Beeswax-                                        1 part
  2. Rosin Oil / Turpentine oil                   1/4th Part
  3. Linseed oil                                       1/4th Part
  4. Powdered Cinnamon (fine mesh)        1/8th to 1/16th part
  5. Powdered Cloves                              1/16th part
I have put the "spices" as a necessity, due to the danger of Fungus growth especially due to seasonal (post snows) danger of dampness-triggered fungal and / or mite attack!

What would be your considered opinion?

Thanks & best regards

Gunther N. Ansari

Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu> wrote:
At 06:54 AM 2/11/2008, Rob wrote:
>How about for cleft grafting on arm sized trunks?
>What do you all use?

Rob,
That would probably be an instance where I'd use Tanis' rubberized
electrician's splicing tape, and I might give the old wax toilet ring
gasket a try as a sealant.
I first tried one(the toilet gasket) at a grafting demonstration I
put on for the local Master Gardeners class last year - it's
relatively easy to work with, doesn't require heating, but it is
sticky, and might, like Karen's beeswax/rosin/linseed oil product, be
a bit easier to work with if you oiled your hands to keep it from
sticking to them.

Lucky

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions.