nafex - Re: [NAFEX] grafting wax

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] grafting wax
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 10:34:55 -0600

At 06:54 AM 2/11/2008, Rob wrote:
How about for cleft grafting on arm sized trunks?
What do you all use?

Rob,
That would probably be an instance where I'd use Tanis' rubberized electrician's splicing tape, and I might give the old wax toilet ring gasket a try as a sealant.
I first tried one(the toilet gasket) at a grafting demonstration I put on for the local Master Gardeners class last year - it's relatively easy to work with, doesn't require heating, but it is sticky, and might, like Karen's beeswax/rosin/linseed oil product, be a bit easier to work with if you oiled your hands to keep it from sticking to them.

Lucky