nafex - Re: [NAFEX] grafting wax

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] grafting wax
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 10:28:04 -0600

At 06:47 PM 2/10/2008, Doug wrote:
From my vague memory of things long since read, I think it was usually
a mixture of cow manure and clay.
Actually, Doug, the person who first told me about it related watching her grandfather graft apples, tying the graft with cotton string, then slathering straight cow manure on to cover the graft union, and, possilbly the entire scion - the latter part I don't know - guess I need to ask her.

Have you ever stepped in a cowpie that's been lying out in the sun for a day or two?
It'll have a nice, firm, dry crust, but still be nice and moist underneath, squishing right up between your toes(I know Tom O will be mortified to think that I'm out walking in my orchard, much less the cow pasture, in my bare feet ;>0)
\
Lucky

Cow manure is a microbial brew mostly
friendly to cows (as well as useful in their digestive processes) and
probably unfriendly to things that attack living plants. Just as humans
foster gut contents friendly to themselves (more or less successfully
depending on their state of health, genetic endowment, food and ambient
microbes).

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Lucky.PIttman@murraystate.edu wrote:
[snip]

> Fresh, steaming-hot cow manure was used with great
> success, 'back in the day'. I still mean to give it
> a try.
>
> Lucky

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions.