nafex - Re: [NAFEX] grafting wax

  • From: Karen Tillou <arboretum@homeorchardsociety.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] grafting wax
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 10:13:01 -0800

ummm, confession time: i know my reaction to a tree kote /tar product is mostly a gut feeling i have about tar and trees.  it's maybe a little more than rural myth, but it sure doesn't have a sciencey or 1st hand experience reasoning to back it up.  i just don't like tar.  i like beeswax and linseed oil instead.  it's a little fussier, but i get good results.

as for lucky's point about parafilm, "No muss, no fuss, no need for coating your hands with
oil(what would that do to impede callusing?), no need for any sort of heater or messy brush."
the oil on the hands when you are using trowbridge's wax is this: if you are heating the wax by using your body heat to get it pliable enough to apply to the grafts, oiling your hands will prevent that lump of beeswax/rosin/linseed oil product from sticking to your skin, an otherwise very unpleasant product to remove.
i've never used parafilm for grafting this time of year - in the NW it seems to really help to seal all the wounded surfaces of a new graft with something that really keeps the rain out and the tree/scion's moisture in. would parafilm really cover well enough on a cleft graft or topworked tree, or does it only work on whip and tongue style unions (smooth ones with out weird lumps...)?
getting ready for grafting season,

karen tillou
oregon city, OR - zone 8a and wet