nafex - Re: [NAFEX] red fleshed apples

  • From: "Martha L. Davis" <martha_davis@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org, Lucky.PIttman@murraystate.edu
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] red fleshed apples
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 11:29:28 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Hi Lucky,

I've been slow to respond. I know a lot of the red fleshed apples have too
much scab etc. My climate is dryer but there is still some scab. Part of
why I'm tossing the question out there again is because they are interesting
and it can be a good way to get people intrigued with fruit not to mention
beauty and anthocyanins as well, but a lot of them clearly have problems, or
problems in many climates. They are so poorly documented that any additional
info is useful. I am trying to winnow through as much info as possible from
lots of areas to come up with a group that seems most likely here. I have
heard that winter red flesh and Geneva do well here, but I think they my be
too small for my purposes. I have heard that Giant Russian is iffy even
cooked due to astringency, but is a good tannin source for cider. I wish I
knew more about Redford and Redfield they sound like they would make a good
pie or crisp.

Martha