nafex - Re: [NAFEX] red fleshed apples

  • From: "John Bunker" <jbunker@gwi.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] red fleshed apples
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 21:29:51 -0500

The only specimen of Niedzwetzkyana I know of is at the Arnold Arboretum in Boston. The fruit is not as large as Redfield. Redfield is quite large for a crab: closer to 2 1/2". Neidzwetzkyana is closer to 2". Neither is solid red. Nied is a sort of washed out pink. Redfield is dark pink from the skin in about 2/3 of the way to the core, where it then fades to white. Beautiful. Redfield makes an excellent pie. It is an excellent apple. There is another red-fleshed variety at the Arnold labelled "Aporta", about 2" in diameter.
From time to time we sell a red-fleshed variety called Winekist that originated in the orchard of Morris Towle in central Maine. Towle was an apple collector in the 40's-70's and was friends of many familier NAFEX names such as Fred Ashworth, Ira Glackens, and others. Winekist is about 2" and solid electric red. Too tart for most dessert palates but good for jelly, sauce, cider etc. Beautiful in bloom as well.
Best,
John Bunker
Fedco