nafex - Re: [NAFEX] shrubs in a chicken yard

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: "Martha L. Davis" <martha_davis@earthlink.net>, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] shrubs in a chicken yard
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 09:03:48 -0600

A number of years back, AJ Bullard penned an article for POMONA regarding mulberries, and indicated that mulberry orchards were once very common across the agrarian South, as a source of feed for both chickens and hogs. If I recall correctly, he indicated that the "Hicks Everbearing" variety was the most commonly encountered selection; productive, but not especially tasty, compared to his favorites, but I suppose pigs and chickens probably aren't all that choosy.

Lucky