nafex - Re: [NAFEX] shrubs in a chicken yard

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] shrubs in a chicken yard
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 22:36:08 -0600

A local black woman told me that people often had volunteer cherry tomatoes that would come up all around the outside of the chicken pen. She said that they were the best tomatoes she'd ever eaten, which I can well imagine. By being outside the pen, they avoid being scratched up, but as they spread out the fruit will be accessible to chickens on one side, and to humans on the other side. No need to plant again after the first year, they will volunteer in quantity. Donna