nafex - [NAFEX] Fruit trees for chicken yard

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Fruit trees for chicken yard
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 09:07:53 -0600

If I could have chickens (I'm within the city limits and there is a ban on farm type animals)...................Anyway, if I could have chickens, I'd plant my apple and plum trees in the chicken yard. From my experience, both tolerate fertilizer. The lowest branches would have to be six or more feet up to keep the birds out of the trees, unless one wing is clipped. When I used to raise chickens, I clipped the feathers on one wing so the best they could do is fly in low circles. You have to clip them several times per year because those feathers re-grow rapidly.
The main reason for growing plums and apples in the chickenyard is to control Plum Curcullio and Apple Maggot. When infected fruit falls to the ground, the chickens will eat it, including (especially) the grubs/worms. With chicken control, you'll likely not have to spray.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups:
www.bberryfarm.com
(877)265-6856 [Store]
(218)831-7018 [My Cell]

  • [NAFEX] Fruit trees for chicken yard, Jim Fruth, 01/04/2008