nafex - [NAFEX] Potomac pear

  • From: Joe and Ellen Hecksel <jhecksel@voyager.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Potomac pear
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 12:16:19 -0500

Hello all:

On paper, Potomac pear looks unbeatable.

In the ground it is OK. It has been a little slow to come into bearing, but otherwise I have very few complaints.

One thing I noticed, and have not seen documented anywhere, is that it tree ripens to acceptable quality. Has anybody else noticed that or are my trees just weird...maybe it is just a one year thing? Is tree ripening a goal that modern pear breeders are shooting for?

-Joe

  • [NAFEX] Potomac pear, Joe and Ellen Hecksel, 12/14/2007