nafex - [NAFEX] Removing persimmon seed sacks.

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Removing persimmon seed sacks.
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 22:24:00 EST

In a message dated 11/8/2007 6:19:25 PM Eastern Standard Time, friendly27sw@yahoo.com writes:

On a related note, does anyone have a way to efficiently remove the seeds from
persimmon pulp without separating them by hand for hours?

Hello Mark,

Thanks for the report of the fruiting difference you observed in your persimmon tree going from open shade to full sun. I'll include it my records of persimmon grower reports.

Here is one way I've removed the seed sacks from many persimmon seeds. After pulping I place them in a bucket with water and mix. Leave them set for about 2 days add more water, stir then pour off the water. Yes, many will float off but a screen will hold them. Now repeat the this step again. The seed sacks will now be softened. After pouring off the water well the third time, work the seeds with your hands many of the sacks will readily come off. If they are really softened you can direct a hard stream of water using the garden hose directly onto the seeds forcing more sacks off. You will learn with experience. I've cleaned many pounds of seed with this basic method.

Jerry Lehman
NAFEX Persimmon Interest Group

See what's new at http://www.aol.com