nafex - [NAFEX] Saperda candida aka Round headed apple tree borer

  • From: David.Maxwell@dal.ca
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Saperda candida aka Round headed apple tree borer
  • Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 11:03:42 -0400

"Whoops there goes another apple tree plant.." Two more, actually, victims
of
Saperda candida. The one I knew about, as the borer holes were visible and I
had
been attempting control. The other was a few cm. below the soil surface,
though,
and not visible. (Both trees blew over, broken at the weakened trunk, in the
storm
last week).

My understanding is that this is a relatively new problem, although around
the early
1900's in New York it was suggested that Saperda could wipe out the entire
apple
industry. It then became nothing more than a minor pest, with the
introduction of
regular sprays for other pests. Now, with the growth of organic agriculture
it is
making a come-back. My own trees are largely "organic", (although it is more
by
neglect than philosophy), and I am having ongoing problems with Saperda. I
have
painted the trunks with a mix of latex paint and lime. Where I can detect
the frass
from Saperda activity I have been injecting insecticide directly into the
holes. (But I
have not been able find out what insecticide is the best one to use. Older
references specify endosulfan, but this has been removed from the market in
both
Canada and the States.) (This process of injecting insecticide directly into
the holes
is my own invention - I am a physician, and have ready access to syringes and
needles.) The advice to poke a wire into the holes is a complete waste of
time - the
holes are frequently crooked, and the wire doesn't get up (or down) to where
the
grub is. Has anybody got any more ideas or experience in managing this pest?

The attacks below the soil surface are a particular problem, as I can't go
around
uncovering the roots of 181 trees (used to be 183...) every few months,
looking for
signs of attack.