nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Effect of drought on fruit / irrigation

  • From: Del Stubbs <northernlights2n@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Effect of drought on fruit / irrigation
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 05:49:25 -0700 (PDT)

We have had two drought summers in succession, my orchard is made up of 5 to
10 year old
trees, mostly seedling rootstock. Because of its location and layout there is
no easy way
to irrigate. Shallow top soil, with 340' of pure clay underneath. They have
never been
irrigated, and yet showed virtually no drought stress either summer, even
when the
ground cracked open 1". This makes me think that forcing roots to go down and
out they
way they have is the healthiest thing I could have done. The orchard is on a
SE facing
slope with quite varied pitch, so gravity drip is near impossible anyway -
and would
have concentrated roots within the drip cone. Also, I did no fertilizing the
first few
years and little major pruning - all to promote root growth over top growth.
Looks like
it's a success, the apples this fall ( 55 kinds) were overall quite large and
juicy in
spite of no rain for 2 months mid-summer.
Del, z 3a MN