nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Effect of drought on fruit

  • From: "bluestem_farm@juno.com" <bluestem_farm@juno.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Effect of drought on fruit
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 03:12:03 GMT

I'll stick my neck out and try to answer this.  Some dry years will result in a heightening of the sugars and flavor, maybe because the tree is getting so much more sun.  Some  wet years you will get large but soft and flavorless apples, probably both because of all the water in the soil and because the tree is getting less sun (sunlight => sugar) than usual.  However, if the year is too dry the trees might give up on the fruits before they have become fully developed with the result being tiny, dry, and not-very-good tasting fruit.  With a very wet year fungus and disease pressure will be stronger than usual and those can hurt the health of the tree  as well as the the flavor and appearance of the fruit.
Muffy Barrett
South Central WI

-- Sue Christensen  wrote:
My orchard is still in the infant stage, so I don't have any apples
or pears yet so I can't answer this myself.

All this talk about how the microclimate or soil conditions in
various state affects how fruit tastes has me wondering. What  is the
effect of a dry year on fruit quality versus a year that is overly
rainy from the norm? ( I'm not sure I would know a "norm" if it hit
me between the eyes.)

Sue in  Adams County, PA

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions.