nafex - Re: [NAFEX] giant red plums

  • From: road's end farm <organic101@linkny.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] giant red plums
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 22:22:27 -0400

On Oct 11, 2007, at 7:09 PM, Michael Nave wrote:

I bought a couple of monstrous red plums here in
California today although they may not be what Diane
has. These may actually be pluots. They are very firm
with very good flavor.

It's odd because as strawberries have grown in size
through the years their flavor and sweetness has
almost disappeared, but as plums have grown their
flavor has remained good.

Interesting. California plums (of whatever size) bought in upstate New York grocery stores were consistently so tasteless that I quit buying them years ago.

Of course, since I've quit buying them, I can't guarantee that none of them taste good. : )

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly