nafex - [NAFEX] giant red plums

  • From: Diane Whitehead <voltaire@islandnet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] giant red plums
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 12:10:24 -0700

I am eating my favourite home-grown plums still - Italian prune, so I had no intention of buying any plums. However, I couldn't resist the enormous California imports. I have never seen such a huge plum before - one fills my hand.

I am curious as to what it is. The label says "Red Plum", so I thought the PLU code (4042) would be more informative.

Not really, though it gives me lots of choices:

Red [Santa Rosa, Late Santa Rosa, Red Beaut, Rich Red, Spring Beaut, First Beaut, Royal Red, Red Jewel, Rose Zee, Royal Zee, Ace, Aleta Rose, Burgandy, July Santa Rosa, Frontier, Fortune, Grad Rosa, Red Lane, Red Rosa, others], small (4041), large (4042)

Are these naturally huge, or are they thinned and coddled like Japanese apples?

Diane Whitehead
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada