nafex - Re: [NAFEX] grape juicing

  • From: road's end farm <organic101@linkny.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] grape juicing
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 10:22:02 -0400

On Sep 17, 2007, at 10:09 AM, Erdman, James wrote:

I found that Concord require a longer growing season than most of zone 4, in most years. When we were borderline zone 4/5 at a different home 18 years ago and more, my Concords seldom ripened, but Fredonia and Worden did well. I didn't even consider planting them when we moved 100 miles further north. However, lots of people claim to have "Concord" grapes at their homes, but I suspect that they just call any blue grape that isn't a wine grape or a wild grape a "concord".

Jim Erdman, in Menomonie,WI

That I would agree with; I think zone 4 is dubious for Concords. They might well survive, but would not produce a ripened crop in most years. And it's certainly true that a lot of home growers don't know what they actually have.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly