nafex - Re: [NAFEX] grape juicing

  • From: Doug Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] grape juicing
  • Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 14:50:17 -0400

Del, how do you like Valiant grapes for juice and jelly, and can you compare them to Concord for this purpose?

Does Valiant reliably escape destructive effects of early hard frosts with you?

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Del Stubbs wrote:
This year we tried using our old Victorio food strainer for working up our
abundant
valiant juice grapes. Worked great.
I just stripped off the berries into a pan, then ran them twice through the
Victorio
using the 2nd to smallest screen, and the grape spiral. I kept the spring
pressure light
- this way the seeds never got scraped. I understand Victorio is no longer
made but
similar products are now on the market. We had been using our Finnish steamer - but this is much faster, and requires no heat. We
just freeze the juice in plastic containers. Del

Del Stubbs www.pinewoodforge.com zone 3a N. MN