nafex - Re: [NAFEX] grape juicing

  • From: Doug Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] grape juicing
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 01:42:54 -0400

I would not expect Concord to suit zone 5 (quality seems to be sensitive to season and growing conditions even here in the Niagara Peninsula - 7a?), but I thought you might have tasted its products from elsewhere. I have heard good things about Valiant juice and jelly from nurserymen, and thought that your opinion would be valuable to confirm or otherwise. I'm glad to know that it performs so well with you. Perhaps it should be more widely used especially given its earlier ripening and great cold-hardiness..

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Del Stubbs wrote:
I don't have concord grapes ( are they suitable to zone 3a?), valiant can
burn a few
leaves to early spring frosts but is a consistant abundant producer, and
makes such
delicious juice, and jam/jelly I don't really care if anything else is
suitable. That
said I am trialing a number of grapes here on the inside of our 800' deer
fence to see
what I can grow for wine and table grapes. but they are too young for me to
have much
opinion of yet.
Del

--- Doug Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org> wrote:

Del, how do you like Valiant grapes for juice and jelly, and can you compare them to Concord for this purpose?

Does Valiant reliably escape destructive effects of early hard frosts with you?