nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Blackberry Pruning and mulching

  • From: "Mark & Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Blackberry Pruning and mulching
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 13:44:02 -0500

Thanks again Michael and Jim,

I'll plan on trying to use all the trellis then and let the Triple Crown
grow to five feet this year. It sounds like the blackberries won't outgrow
the trellis or me.

I only trellised the Triple Crown. All the others are supposed to be pretty
erect, so I thought I'd try them without a trellis (they take a while to
build). I like Jim's method for picking. I may be able to lay the Triple
Crown primocanes down, but I doubt the other varieties will lay down. The
canes can get pretty thick and stiff.

I'm getting to like mulch more and more. Nice to know blackberries respond
well to it. This is the first year we've ever mulched (most of) the garden.
The moisture retention is phenomenal compared to unmulched areas. Also a
definite difference in the few trees that are mulched vs. the others.

Thanks,
Mark
Kansas

Wet, Wet- almost 9" the last three days