nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Blackberry Pruning

  • From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Blackberry Pruning
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 18:08:36 -0700 (PDT)

Mark,

If you cut the primocanes off at 5 feet, there will be
some branches that may get a bit taller than that, but
I wouldn't worry about it too much as these will be
shortened at the end of the season and they can also
be wrapped around a little.

In the second season, there will be a lateral from
wherever there was a leaf the first year, and the
laterals will each get a foot or so long, so they'll
stick up above the trellis a little bit (they'll come
out some, so they won't be straight up) but they are
stout and won't need extra support. I guess my main
concern at that point would be not knowing how tall
you are and how high up you want to reach to pick. If
you top them at 5 feet this year to induce branching
and things end up being a little high to be
comfortable for you to reach, you can always shorten
it by 6 inches or so to make it easier to pick. If
you manage the primocanes each year properly, I think
that will be more of an issue than the plant
outgrowing the trellis

Hopefully I explained this clearly enough...

Michael

--- Mark & Helen Angermayer <hangermayer@isp.com>

=== message truncated ===

Michael Dossett