nafex - [NAFEX] Are Brambles good for me to try

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Are Brambles good for me to try
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 08:04:24 -0500

Betsy,
I sell Pequot Black Raspberry plants and when someone asks me what they taste like, I say, "If you were to compare the flavor of red raspberries to the taste of Kool Aid, black raspberries would be like a fine merlot." I don't know how well they would thrive in North Carolina but, if I may compare, Minnesota Summers have alot of heat and humidity.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups:
www.bberryfarm.com
(218)568-8483 [Store]
(218)831-7018 [My Cell]

I do not have any brambles or Ribes but have been following the threads
with great interest. I like red raspberries OK, but had not really
considered them as they are a bit tart to me and so fragile, but I have
heard that black raspberries are exceptionally delicious. I have no
experience with gooseberries or currants.

Are brambles or Ribes a good idea for me? Are they technically
demanding as far as culture or disease control? Will they do well in my
hot, humid, full sun environment?

Any suggestions/recommendations of other low maintenance fruits that I
may enjoy are also welcome as I still have room in my orchard. For
example jujubes and che fruit seem interesting...

Thanks,
Betsy Hilborn
NC 7a