nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Are brambles or ribes good fruits for me to try growing?

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Are brambles or ribes good fruits for me to try growing?
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 22:32:19 -0500

Betsy, I got some starts of black raspberry from a friend, planted them down at the edge of the garden where a huge beech tree provides some morning shade, and apart from cutting out honeysuckle in the winter, I have done nothing. They live, they move around each year, and they produce.
I think the blackberries are going to be more work simply because I put them in a row in the garden itself and will have to prune and tie them to be able to get around them. But that doesn't sound like all that much work considering the amount of fruit they are likely to produce. I like to pick blackberries dead ripe for fresh eating. And yes, they adore intense sun, heat, and humidity. Just have a look what grows along railroad tracks. Donna