nafex - [NAFEX] Are brambles or ribes good fruits for me to try growing?

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Are brambles or ribes good fruits for me to try growing?
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 17:27:09 -0400

Hi folks,

I do not have any brambles or ribes but have been following the threads
with great interest. I like red raspberries OK, but had not really
considered them as they are a bit tart to me and so fragile, but I have
heard that black raspberries are exceptionally delicious. I have no
experience with gooseberries or currants.

I tend to like sweet fruits that can be used fresh. My favorites are my
Illinois Everbearing mulberries bearing now (came back nicely after
being frozen back at Easter!), blueberries, serviceberries, persimmon,
strawberries, kiwis, pomes, stone fruits, and figs. I have some paw paws
on order, and hope to plant those trees next spring.

I live in the humid south and like low maintenance plants with few pest
or disease problems as my time gardening is limited.

Are brambles or ribes a good idea for me? Are they technically
demanding as far as culture or disease control? Will they do well in my
hot, humid, full sun environment?

Any suggestions/recommendations of other low maintenance fruits that I
may enjoy are also welcome as I still have room in my orchard. For
example jujubes and che fruit seem interesting...

Thanks,
Betsy Hilborn
NC 7a