nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Are brambles or ribes good fruits for me to try growing?

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Are brambles or ribes good fruits for me to try growing?
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 23:09:13 -0400

On Jun 27, 2007, at 5:27 PM, Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov wrote:

Hi folks,

I do not have any brambles or ribes but have been following the threads
with great interest. I like red raspberries OK, but had not really
considered them as they are a bit tart to me and so fragile, but I have
heard that black raspberries are exceptionally delicious. I have no
experience with gooseberries or currants.

I tend to like sweet fruits that can be used fresh.

If you like sweet fruit and find red raspberries too tart, I wouldn't bother with currants. I like them, but the red ones are very tart (and I don't think of raspberries as a tart fruit) and the black ones mostly need to be cooked.

I think you would like blackberries and black raspberries, but I don't know how well they do in the heat.

Ginda