nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Are brambles or ribes good fruits for me to try growing?

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Are brambles or ribes good fruits for me to try growing?
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 16:35:08 -0500

Title: RE: [NAFEX] Are brambles or ribes good fruits for me to try growing?

About the only Ribes I know of that may do good where you live is 'Glenndale' gooseberry, which was developed by the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture for warmer climates.  It is available from Edible Landscaping nursery.  I'd suggest planting it in a shady or partially shady location.  You might also try red currants in a similar location.  Redlake (or Red Lake) has been the standard for years -- Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn.