nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Are brambles or ribes good fruits for me to try growing?

  • From: dwoodard@becon.org
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Are brambles or ribes good fruits for me to try growing?
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 17:46:30 -0400 (EDT)

Assuming you are on the coastal plain, you may have problems with
currants, gooseberries and many of the Rubus cultivars derived from
northern Europe.
You might try planitng them near a north wall or on the north side of a
taller plant barrier. I hesitate to recommned more than light shade.

I sem to recall at least one newer raspberry cultivar that has been
successful in Virginia. There are probably some Rubus species from warmer
countries which may be hard to get but may suit you better. You may have
success with blackberries. I don't think I'd recommend Himalyan Giant,
it's difficult to control.

If you are in the hills I think you may have some scope for experimenting
with these species.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario