nafex - Re: [NAFEX] persimmon fertilization

  • From: "Alan ." <yarrylo@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] persimmon fertilization
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 05:49:41 +0000

Another argument, in the interests of efficiency, which favors grafting persimmon trees rather than growing seedlings stems from the observations of some reputable growers that the ratio of male to female seedlings significantly exceeds the 1:1 that might be expected and is in fact reported by most. But observations such as John Gordon's of John Gordon Nursery that most seedlings are males(and so recommends that 8 seedlings be planted in order to insure proper male/female mix) cannot easily be dismissed, especially as others have reported the same. Instead, some theories are called for to explain the disparity - perhaps a reflection of the difference between tetraploid (60 chromosome) and hexaploid (90 chromosome)seedlings or perhaps resulting from some differing environmental influences.

Regarding parthenocarpy in persimmon, that of the vegetative variety (requiring no stimulus to set fruit) is common among the Asian varieties, so that a solitary tree left undisturbed can often be a good bearer. American persimmon also probably exhibit some degree of parthenocarpy, suggested by the seedless fruit of some varieties. But there is little enthusiasm to explore and possibly exploit this trait partly because economics and marketability favor production of frozen pulp over the sale of fresh fruit, whether it be seeded or seedless, and partly because of the decreased yields of unpollenized trees. But the home orchardist, who may well desire a seedless persimmon but is unwilling to sacrifice yield, may want to investigate further. It may be interesting to test the theory that parthenocarpy in American persimmon exists but, unlike with Asians, requires some stimulus , be it chestnut pollen or a plant hormone such as gibberellin, to give adequate yields of seedless fruit.

Alan Stein
Pittsburgh, PA
zone 6

Hi Jerry,

I'll insert my answers in blue

In a message dated 6/9/2007 7:15:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Jerrydana5@aol.com writes:

> OK, not to appear stupid, but I don't understand this persimmon
> fertilization [pollination] thing. Everybody around here says you must have 2 trees to
> have persimmons. I guess that means they are like some apples which are not
> self-fertile. Persimmon is dioecious, that means male and female flowers on
> separate trees. One tree of each sex is needed in order the female tree will
> bear fruit. There a very very rare few exceptions. Apples are monoecious
> meaning the flowers each have male and female sexual parts and some are not self
> compatable. I got my sprouts from volunteers under a solitary tree close by
> which is always loaded with persimmons. How could that be? That would indicate
> there are male trees nearby which you may not know about. Persimmon is
> pollinated by bees and will carry pollen quite far. My guess is the trees not
> bearing are male trees. And am I guaranteed I will get persimmons from just two
> trees, or do I need more to be sure? Having two trees will not guarantee
> fruit as they both can be male trees. What if they don't "get along"? Is it
> possible to have two trees which do not cross-pollinate? To my knowledge there
> is no genetic incompatibly that blocks pollination as in cherries and some
> other fruits. There are some seedless persimmons but generally they still need a
> pollinator to produce the seedless fruit. I know, that doesn't make sense as
> we know it. It's taken me years to get some sprouts that grow, so I want to
> get this straight. Thanks for clearing things up for this new persimmon
> grower. I'd like to suggest that you graft your seedlings to known good female
> bearing varieties. Not all persimmon trees bear desirable fruit for your use.
> Jerry in southern Indiana

Jerry in central West Indiana.

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions.