nafex - Re: [NAFEX] persimmon fertilization

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] persimmon fertilization
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 11:34:15 -0500

Seems like the thing to do is wait till the trees are old enough to bloom, see what kind on blooms they have.  Then if the trees are female and won't set fruit, you can just graft on a branch from a male tree and in a couple of years you'll have fruit.  From what I have seen around here, I think that native persimmons tend to sucker, so your trees should be the same as the parent tree.  Anyone have any comments on this?  I am thinking of a small grove I know, all the trees have fruit of good quality, seem the same to me.  I don't think there are any non fruiting trees, ie male seedlings.    Donna