nafex - Re: [NAFEX] persimmon fertilization

  • From: "Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu" <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] persimmon fertilization
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 07:06:26 -0500

------- Original Message -------
Sent : 6/9/2007 6:15:24 AM
To : nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Cc :

>I don't understand this persimmon
>fertilization thing. Everybody around here says you must have 2 trees to
>have
>persimmons. I guess that means they are like some apples which are not
>self-fertile.
No, Jerry, not exactly; persimmons are, for the most part, dioeicious -
meaning they are either 'male'
or 'female'(though there are some polygamodioeicious trees which have both
male and female flowers or flowers
possessing both male and female parts), and you typically must have both a
male and a female in order to have
pollenation and fruit set.

>I got my sprouts from volunteers under a solitary tree close by which is
>always loaded with persimmons. How could that be?
Because there must be a male persimmon tree within flight distance of bees or
whatever insect pollenates the
persimmon flowers. Otherwise, you'd have no fruit.

>And am I guaranteed I will
>get persimmons from just two trees, or do I need more to be sure?
Depends upon whether you have both a male and a female - or if there are male
trees in the nearby landscape.
I've not planted any males(yet- though I grafted Thor last year and Szukis
this spring) in my orchard, and my
young trees have set decent crops - because, I presume, there are plenty of
male trees in the local wildscape.
These sprouts - are they seedlings you've dug up, or are they actually root
suckers from the bearing tree? If
seedlings, there's a 50/50 chance you've got a male and a female - but it's
just as likely that you'll have two
females or two non-fruiting males. If they're root suckers, then they'll be
genetic clones of your bearing female
tree, and you'll need a male unless there are 'wild' males in the area.

>What if they don't "get along"? Is it possible to have two trees which do
>not
>cross-pollinate?
Hmm. I'll have to leave this one for someone who knows more than me. So far
as I know, we don't have early-mid-
late bloom periods with persimmons, as we do with apples, pecans, etc.
Typically, I figure a male persimmon will
bloom and provide pollen for any female.

Hope this helps.

Lucky Pittman
Hopkinsville, KY

It's taken me years to get some sprouts that grow, so I want to get
this straight. Thanks for clearing things up for this new persimmon grower.

Jerry in souther Indiana

http://www.aol.com.