nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Cherry Tree Lunacy

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Cherry Tree Lunacy
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 11:27:26 -0500

Mark, Those miserable "floating row covers" are much too easy to tear. They don't last and might not even do what you want. The cardinals have been eating my peas, and I have no doubt that if they discovered they could tear a hole in my defenses to get at the peas, they would and they'd all teach it to each other. No, what you want is to hit some secondhand stores and yard sales and buy sheer nylon curtains. These can easily be clothespinned in place (I did it for 17 yr locusts one year) and can be reused for many purposes in future. I use mine to keep frost off my tomatoes and peppers in fall, then to cover my greens all winter. Then in spring I use them again to warm peppers and tomatoes and fend off late frosts. NOW, when they should be put away, they are keeping the fierce sun from completely wilting my plants in the ongoing drought. Good luck, maybe next year I'll have some cherries to protect myself. Donna