nafex - [NAFEX] Zone 3 Mulberries

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Zone 3 Mulberries
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 07:56:25 -0500

Bill,
We have Mulberries (Morus alba) growing here in zone 3 and there are two Illinois Everbearing (rated for zone 4) that I know of. But then, the USDA says we have graduated to zone 4 now with Global Warming upon us. I don't remember where I got mine (one of each), either Mackay Nursery or Burnt Ridge Nursery.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups:
www.bberryfarm.com
(218)568-8483 [Store]
(218)831-7018 [My Cell]

Most of the mulberries don't seem to be real cold-hardy. But I have
seen, in a catalog, a Geraldi Dwarf Mulberry that's supposed to be hardy
to zone 5. Anyone familiar with this? The description reads, "Excellent
fruits similar to Collier and IL Everbearing on a 6' tall tree." That
would certainly be small enough! :-) But it doesn't say how
abundantly it produces. And I've learned not to put too much faith in
these promotional descriptions, anyway.

Any suggestions? Thanks much!

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)