nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Northline Serviceberry (Chex)

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Northline Serviceberry (Chex)
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 14:24:04 -0500

Bill,
I think you'd do well with serviceberries. Your climate is drier and you
probably have far fewer cedars than we do.
In most of the Great Plains, the red cedar (J. virginiana) is the only native
juniper. It is planted throughout Nebraska and in states to the north and
south, as seedlings in farm shelterbelts and windbreaks and as cultivars in
home landscapes.

Not just planted, either. It grows like a weed around here. Any pasture or prairie left unburned (or unmowed) is soon covered in red cedar. I live in town, but I know they're all around me here, too. I'm always finding little red cedar seedlings in my lawn.

But yes, I'm thinking seriously of trying serviceberries. Due to a slight miscalculation, I've got a place that's probably not quite big enough for dwarf trees, but might handle two or three bushes just fine. I'll just have to make sure I get the smaller species.

Thanks,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without any proof. - Ashley Montague