nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Northline Serviceberry (Chex)

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Northline Serviceberry (Chex)
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 17:23:12 -0700

Dr. Thompson says that it now looks like bumblebees are the main pollinator of Haskap. They have a long tongue that allows them to reach the nectar in the tubular flowers. If you have no bumblebees, that might be part of the reason for poor set. I have several bushes and ones that had tall grass around them at bloom time had poor set because the bumblebees couldn't get to the flowers. The ones that were in the open seem to have set well.
Note that the fruit ripens a lot earlier than blueberries, about with or even a little ahead of strawberries, and birds can take the fruit before you even realize it's ready.
-Lon Rombough
For even more grape lessons, go to http://www.grapeschool.com
For growing supplies and more; http://www.grapegrowersolutions.com