nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Northline Serviceberry (Chex)

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Northline Serviceberry (Chex)
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 10:29:17 -0500

In most of the Great Plains, the red cedar (J. virginiana) is the only
native juniper. It is planted throughout Nebraska and in states to the
north and south, as seedlings in farm shelterbelts and windbreaks and as
cultivars in home landscapes. I believe that generally the
recommendation is to eliminate red cedars for 1/4 mile around a pome
planting to ensure that rust will not be a problem. -- Sam Brungardt,
St. Paul, Minn.