nafex - Re: [NAFEX] edible Lonicera species

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] edible Lonicera species
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 20:47:22 -0500

If you like blueberries so much, I can advise you to try lonicera fruit from
edible species, there the blueberry taste is developed to perfection.

I thought about that, but I've had recommendations against them, too. The biggest problem I've heard is that they'll break dormancy in fluctuating winter temperatures. Someone (my notes don't mention who) said "I was told by Edible Landscaping that the plant likes well defined seasons. As soon as there is a hint of warm weather the plant will break dormancy."The weather here in the plains fluctuates dramatically, and we often have periods of surprisingly warm weather in winter.

I've also seen postings that they're "extremely susceptible to leaf diseases in the Midwest." And, well, some people say their fruit production is scanty, and that the taste is just OK.

Still, I'd probably give them a try if it wasn't for the breaking dormancy problem. I like the fact that they produce fruit so early in the season.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
Science is the great antidote to the poison of enthusiasm and superstition. - Adam Smith