nafex - [NAFEX] Saskatoons

  • From: "Richard MURPHY" <murphman108@msn.com>
  • To: "nafex" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Saskatoons
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 22:49:44 -0400

Hello Again;

My experience with Saskatoons has not been too successful yet.
I am not going to quit until I succeed.

One disease I am positive they had was Entomosporium Leaf Spot.
What worked on this was a nearly spring application of Chlorothalonil, only once un early Spring.
That chemical is in on to Ortho's Garden Disease Control products. This advice I got from a Phd who did a paper on it,, on the web. He was right. "Fruit Tree Spray" did little. Chlorothalonil seemed to do the trick.
This year I am giving them the same as the apple trees; Lime Sulfur & Permethrin cocktail. That'll keep the scab off, and the aphids too.
    These plants went in in 2005. 2006 they just layed there, trying not to die. So far this year, they appear to be taking off. Another lesson learned by experience, and verified by pro farmers. Don't plant Saskatoons in mud.
Constant wet feet is a death sentence.

Richard Murphy
zone 4 Maine
zone 6 MA