nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Poison Sumac Question

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Poison Sumac Question
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 11:08:26 -0400

On May 13, 2007, at 9:33 AM, Jim Fruth wrote:

Tanis,
    I'm curious why anyone talks about treating Poison Sumac because almost no one has ever seen the stuff.

    We make a syrup out of (Red) Sumac berries and so get to talk about Poison Sumac alot.  Poison Sumac grows in swamps in wet places and bears white berries that hang down, unlike the red berried, high ground sumacs whose berries point skyward. There is so much hype about Poison Sumac that most folks think the red Sumacs are poison. Out of several thousand people I have talked to about this subject, absolutely zero of them have ever encountered Poison Sumac. After all, how many of us like to get our feet wet by trudging around in swampy places?

When I was a kid I spent a lot of time in swamps, and saw a lot of poison sumac.  It's very dangerous, because you are balancing on a floating bit of spagnum, and about to go down, and the only promising thing to grab in the area is the poison sumac growing on that little hummock to your right.

I've made "sumac-aide" from staghorn sumac, which is pleasant.  It's also sort of ornamental growing on the sides of highways.