nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Poison Sumac Question(clonal suckering)

  • From: tanis grif <tanisgrif@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Poison Sumac Question(clonal suckering)
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 09:25:12 -0700 (PDT)

Some of the wild fruits have a suckering-spreading expansive habit, so we're
still
on-topic!

I've seen undisturbed clonal patches of staghorn (& we have another common one
here--Rhus glabra) gradually relocate themselves. Also, they eventually give
up if
they just aren't allowed to go anywhere and are never cut. (I believe the
same
think happens with black-locust, but it takes 100 years so how does an
ammateur
prove that?!) I bet the roots eventually get diseases or deplete the soil, or
something. That's why the roots seek new ground.

Don't cut it, mow (or herbicide) the perimeter, and take a picture of the
clone same
date every year.

--- "Lon J. Rombough" <> wrote:

> Staghorn sumac has some of the best fall color I've seen, but boy howdy
> does it sucker.

Park yourself in front of a world of choices in alternative vehicles. Visit
the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.
http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/