nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Poison Oak question

  • From: tanis grif <tanisgrif@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Poison Oak question
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 07:43:21 -0700 (PDT)

Doesn't publicity for incorrect plant IDs make you mad?! Especially re the
edibles
& toxics!

I think there is so much mis-info re p.ivy & p.oak ID that it doesn't matter
whether
we split this hair. P.oak may have originally meant the species/ subsps/
varient
which grows better in Med climate-- found west of Sierras and looks a little
dif
than the rest of the continent's p.ivy. But now any p.ivy stem w/ a slightly
more
lobed leaflet will cause arguments about it being p.oak.

I don't think height is species dif. Here, what looks to me like the same
stuff
otherwise, can be found in--
shadey woods, low vigor rhizomatous vine biding time for a shot of more sun;
full sun, low thickets of a range of densities, 6" tall to 4" tall;
a vine climbing a tree-trunk via many hairy rootlets (VI creeper vine looks
similar--except for it's 5 leaflets-- especially in dormant season), I've
seen vines
2" diameter.

--- Jim Fruth <> wrote:

> Several years ago I visited Itasca State Park and pictures of Poison
> Ivy
> and Poison Oak were displayed for public viewing. The picture for "Poison
> Oak" was really Virginia Creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia).
> My botanical keys, Britton & Brown, lists Poison Ivy and Poison Oak as
> separate species separated mostly by leaf shape. I've seen both leaf
> shapes
> on the same plant. From my experience, I would challenge the idea of their
> being separate species. I have traveled most of these United States and
> have
> encountered only one plant that could, perhaps, be a separate species. It
> was a California Poison Ivy that grew 12 to 15 ft. high, unlike its more
> common cousin(?) that grows to about 2' high.
> What is your experience on this subject?

snooze, you lose. Get messages ASAP with AutoCheck
in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.