nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Poison Sumac Question(links)

  • From: tanis grif <tanisgrif@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Poison Sumac Question(links)
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 09:35:01 -0700 (PDT)

OK, I'll bite. Here are the links which I've included in my article. Note
that the
time to know about the chemistry of "urushiol" (the toxic component, and yes
it is
found in different plants around world) is before you ever see the rash.
Once the
rash looks bad, just try to sooth it.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/475190_6
http://www.poison-ivy.org/html/faq.htm
http://waynesword.palomar.edu/ww0802.htm

--- Doc Lisenby <> wrote:

> Jim, I suspect that the scratch and vinegar treatment acts mechanically the
> same as the sandpaper/pot scrubber and strong alkaline soap. The
> surfactant
> effect of soap and vinegar probably act similarly. Urushiol, the active
> allergen, is a mixture of nonvolatile hydrocarbons (oil) and is probably
> emulsified or saponified by the alkalinity or acidity of soap or acetic
> acid. May be magical chemistry buffering or neutralization but I doubt it.
> As another off-topic note, some people respond to laquerware from the sap
> of
> the Asiatic Lacquer Tree, another member of the Rhus family.
> Doc

the Yahoo! toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're surfing.