nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Poison Sumac Question

  • From: "Doc Lisenby" <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Poison Sumac Question
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 12:27:50 -0400

Jim, I suspect that the scratch and vinegar treatment acts mechanically the same as the sandpaper/pot scrubber and strong alkaline soap. The surfactant effect of soap and vinegar probably act similarly. Urushiol, the active allergen, is a mixture of nonvolatile hydrocarbons (oil) and is probably emulsified or saponified by the alkalinity or acidity of soap or acetic acid. May be magical chemistry buffering or neutralization but I doubt it.
As another off-topic note, some people respond to laquerware from the sap of the Asiatic Lacquer Tree, another member of the Rhus family.
Doc

"Doc,
I sent this to Tanis privately when, it seems I should have sent it to
the group:

Tanis,
When I get poison Ivy, I dip my fingers into vinegar, then using those vinegary fingers, I scratch the blisters open. Follow that by rubbing in
some more vinegar and the rash begins healing immediately.

Jim Fruth"