nafex - [NAFEX] Freeze damage- off topic genus

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Freeze damage- off topic genus
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 10:28:45 -0400

I emerged from my house this AM to greet 26 degree cold. This is the
fifth consecutive night of temperatures below freezing, 4 of these with
lows in the 20's. Daytime temps have been in the 50s and sunny here in
central NC.

I saw what looked like snow settled on my crape myrtles. Upon close
inspection I realized that they had frozen sap at the base of each small
lateral branch. The bark had been blown off by the freezing sap and the
cambium exposed. I surveyed my property for other trees/shrubs with his
phenomenon, but found none among the naturally-occurring or cultivated
plants.

Has anyone seen this? Are these fatally injured?

Betsy Hilborn
7a

crape myrtle damage