nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Boron and other things

  • From: "Lucky.PIttman@murraystate.edu" <Lucky.PIttman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Boron and other things
  • Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 11:26:28 -0500

Jason McArthur wrote:
I think we should be able to agree that water is the foundation of
life. Farming practices which don't pollute water are more
sustainable than those that do. Huge amounts of Nitrogen
Phosphorous dumped into mistreated soil become pollutants, but just
because a farmer occasionally reaches for some Imidan doesn't mean
they over-fertilize.

Indeed. Most farmers do not 'over-fertilize' - it doesn't make economic
sense to apply more of any input than is
necessary, especially when most producers are functioning on a very tight (or
negative) profit margin.
Much of the 'over-fertilization' and chemical runoff problem we've
encountered through the years, with regard to
water sources, must be laid at the feet of homeowners with unfettered access,
to fertilizers and lawn chemicals in
their quest for the ever 'greener' LAWN - with no training and no culpability
for excessive applications. Them,
and the folks maintaining golf courses.

Lucky